About Me

My photo
"There will always be trends, but I think, by being true to yourself and your art, you will set the trend" - Tara McPherson

Thursday 6 January 2011

Hard Copy Media

These pictures are the scanned versions of the original pieces of paper.

I made this stained paper myself to use as backgrounds in my CD booklet.

Using coffee, tea, salt, newspaper and cranberry juice
Using coffee, tea and salt

Using coffee, tea and newspaper
Using coffee, tea and salt

I wanted to go for an aged and decaying look for my backgrounds to reflect Dave McKean's work. To achieve this, I took A4 pieces of paper, screwed them up and stained them with tea (as a base). Then, for darker patches, I splashed coffee over the smoothed out paper, also adding grains of instant coffee that bled out to give 'age spots' on the paper. Once happy with the final result, I sprinkled rock salt over the wettest parts of the paper, as the salt absorbs the water, and once dry and brushed off, leaves an interesting 'tie dye' effect.




Examples of editing:


Two backgrounds overlapped, the top layer's
blending mode changed to 'Difference'
Two backgrounds overlapped, the top layer's
blending mode changed to 'Darker Colour'

All backgrounds
























2 comments:

  1. Bethany, you should experiment combining these decay looking techniques with your line drawing final image, as that'll take the combining of mixed medias to another level potentially pushing your work to a higher grade. Well done, there's some really good work here.

    DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I was planning anyway :)

    ReplyDelete